ONIWG is a provincial voice for workers who have been injured or made ill on the job. We have first-hand experience of the WCB/WSIB system, know it needs improvement and take united action to make this happen. A democratically governed organization, ONIWG has been representing workers since 1991.
Our 22 member groups have strong community roots, working closely with other local groups and agencies to advance the interests of injured workers. These include labour councils and labour unions, and legal clinics who provide advice and support. We also work with the local Office of the Worker Advisor, our Members of Provincial Parliament, and in municipal governments.
Despite no longer receiving provincial funding, ONIWG continues to lobby and raise public awareness (see current Workers’ Comp Is a Right campaign) about what needs to be fixed in Ontario’s broken workers’ compensation system. We speak up for injured worker rights with submissions and street rallies, petitions, research , media action, workshops & conferences.
ONIWG groups in your community [Directory]
- offer peer support – meet other workers who face the same challenges that you do
- provide information on dealing with the compensation system
- give you an opportunity to join the fight for justice
What we are fighting towards!
- Reform of the Workers’ Compensation Act and Policy and a return to the founding principles.
- Dignity, Respect and Justice must be the foundation for a renewed Workers’ Compensation System
- An Act with the stated purpose to truly assist and compensate workers injured, made sick and disabled at work
Taking action - research & advocacy