Regularly updated information and selected resources for injured workers on claims and appeals handling, employment rights, government programs and services, and campaigns to ensure injured workers receive their just support.
Workplace Safety and Insurance Board COVID-19 updates
The WSIB’s offices are closed to the public for safety because of COVID-19 but can be reached in other ways for help: phone 1-800-387-0750, Monday to Friday 7:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. (be prepared for longer wait times) or use their online services and upload claim-related information online. “We are continuing to pay all wage-loss benefits and we have ensured all Loss of Earning (LOE) benefits are up to date. . ” [see Frequently asked questions on claims and information on services and COVID-19 claims statistics at WSIB Novel coronavirus (COVID-19) Update]
Workplace Safety and Insurance Appeals Tribunal COVID-19 updates
WSIAT has resumed in-person hearings on a limited basis but is focusing, where feasible, on alternative hearing options, such as written, video conference and telephone hearings.
Check the WSIAT announcements for current information on practices and services during COVID-19.
Prevention Link. COVID-19: What you need to know Fact sheets on Workers’ compensation and exposure reporting, your reporting rights & responsibilities; mental health resources. See also Prevention Link video Workers’ Compensation & Covid-19 [Youtube, 11 mins]
Scarborough Community Legal Services. COVID-19 outbreak: your rights at work.
Programs and services
- Government of Ontario. COVID-19: Support for workers and COVID-19 (provincial updates – main page) | Ontario Community Support Program
- Government of Canada. Coronavirus disease (COVID-19). Portal to to latest news, health information, programs & supports
- Government of Canada. COVID-19 and people with disabilities in Canada. Protective measures and special considerations
- Community Legal Education Ontario (CLEO). Steps to Justice/Covid-19 . Practical, updated information on the law relating to COVID-19, legal services, supports, changes to government programs. Topics include Employment and Work, Tribunals and Courts, Housing Law, Family Law, Immigration and Refugees. Live chat also available. (* Please get legal advice for your specific situation. To find a community legal clinic near you, visit https://www.legalaid.on.ca/services/legal-clinics/ )
- 211 Ontario. How to access help during COVID-19 – find government & community services in your area
- Toronto & York Region Labour Council. COVID-19 help for individuals
- Ontario Human Rights Commission. COVID-19 and Ontario’s Human Rights Code – Questions & Answers (Mar. 18, 2020)
- TVO. COVID-19: The week in review
Worker safety & mental health
- Ontario Federation of Labour. Follow the science. Enforce the law. Protect Workers. (new – Jun. 2021)
- Workers’ Health & Safety Legal Clinic. Frequently asked COVID-19 health and safety questions
- Canadian Centre for Occupational Health and Safety. Pandemic COVID-19 tip sheets
- Ontario. Ministry of Labour, Training & Skills Development. New & updated COVID-19 resources for workplace safety.
- WorkSafe Saskatchewan. Managing your mental health through COVID-19: tools to help you cope.
- CAMH. Mental health and the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Ontario. Ministry of Health. Find mental health supports.
- Public Health Ontario. COVID-19 in Ontario: epidemiologic summary
- Workers Comp Is A Right Campaign. Tell Doug Ford and the WSIB – Injured workers need COVID-19 relief now! (send your letter)
- Ontario Federation of Labour. Open letter: A renewed call for decisive action by Ontario’s workers’ compensation system to support workers affected by the COVID-19 pandemic (Nov. 16, 2020) – see previous letter (Apr. 3, 2020)
- Income Security Advocacy Centre. Open letter addressing protections for injured workers during COVID-19. (Jun. 4, 2020)
- Justice for Migrant Workers. Open letter to Workplace Safety Insurance Board regarding COVID19, workers compensation and migrant farm workers (Ontario). Harvesting Freedom (Apr. 17, 2020)
- Injured Workers Community Legal Clinic. Letter re WSIB response to COVID-19 pandemic. (Apr. 14, 2020)
- Ontario Network of Injured Workers Groups. Letter to the WSIB President on COVID-19 impact on injured workers (Mar. 24, 2020)
- ARCH Disability Law Centre & AODA Alliance. Open letter to the government on a need for a non-discriminatory Clinical Triage Protocol (Dec. 3, 2020); COVID-19 and disability: recommendations to the Canadian government from disability organizations (Mar. 24, 2020)