Information and selected resources for injured workers on claims and appeals handling, employment rights, government programs and services, and campaigns to ensure injured workers receive their just support.
Workplace Safety and Insurance Board COVID-19 updates
The WSIB’s offices are closed to the public for safety because of COVID-19 but can be reached in other ways for help: phone 1-800-387-0750, Monday to Friday 7:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. (be prepared for longer wait times) or use their online services and upload claim-related information online. “We are continuing to pay all wage-loss benefits and we have ensured all Loss of Earning (LOE) benefits are up to date. We also have staff in place to help manage any new claims as quickly as possible… ” [see more information on claims and services at WSIB Novel coronavirus (COVID-19) Update]
Workplace Safety and Insurance Appeals Tribunal COVID-19 updates
WSIAT has cancelled all in-person hearings until further notice. Where feasible, alternative hearing options, such as written, video conference and telephone hearings, will be considered.
In addition, the WSIAT is suspending all on-site services. Limitation periods have been suspended for the duration of the COVID-19 emergency, retroactive to March 16, 2020. Procedural time periods have also been suspended, subject to the discretion of the court or tribunal. The WSIAT will be holding a stakeholder consultation the week of April 20, 2020 to provide an update on the Tribunals operations. For additional information on contacting the Tribunal see WSIAT Operations Update.
Prevention Link. COVID-19: What you need to know Fact sheets on Workers’ compensation and exposure reporting, your reporting rights & responsibilities; mental health resources
Scarborough Community Legal Services. COVID-19 outbreak: your rights at work.
Goldblatt Partners. COVID-19 legal resource page. Employee rights and benefits.
Programs and services
- Government of Ontario. COVID-19: Support for workers
- Government of Canada. Coronavirus disease (COVID-19). Portal to to latest news, health information, programs & supports
- Community Legal Education Ontario (CLEO). Steps to Justice/Covid-19 . Practical, updated information on the law relating to COVID-19, legal services, supports, changes to government programs. Topics include Employment and Work, Tribunals and Courts, Housing Law, Family Law, Immigration and Refugees. Live chat also available. (* Please get legal advice for your specific situation. To find a community legal clinic near you, visit https://www.legalaid.on.ca/services/legal-clinics/ )
- CBC. Financial help for Canadians affected by COVID-19 : Find the benefits relevant to you (interactive)
- 211 Ontario. How to access help during COVID-19 – find government & community services in your area
- Toronto & York Region Labour Council. COVID-19 help for individuals
- Ontario Human Rights Commission. COVID-19 and Ontario’s Human Rights Code – Questions & Answers (Mar. 18, 2020)
Worker safety & mental health
- Workers’ Health & Safety Legal Clinic. Frequently asked COVID-19 health and safety questions
- Canadian Centre for Occupational Health and Safety. Pandemic COVID-19 tip sheets
- WorkSafe Saskatchewan. Managing your mental health through COVID-19: tools to help you cope.
- CAMH. Mental health and the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Workers Comp Is A Right Campaign. Tell Doug Ford and the WSIB – Injured workers need COVID-19 relief now! (send your letter)
- Injured Workers Community Legal Clinic. Letter re WSIB response to COVID-19 pandemic. (Apr. 14, 2020)
- Toronto Star. “Province urged to make workers’ compensation automatic for essential employees diagnosed with COVID-19”. (Apr. 6, 2020).
- Ontario Network of Injured Workers Groups. Letter to the WSIB President on COVID-19 impact on injured workers (Mar. 24, 2020)
- ARCH Disability Law Centre. Open letter on Ontario’s triage COVID-19 protocol (Apr. 8, 2020); COVID-19 and disability: recommendations to the Canadian government from disability organizations (Mar. 24, 2020)
- Broadbent Institute. Resources and responses to COVID-19 (regularly updated). Resource and sharing centre for those wanting to advocate for better worker and community protections and support