The Amianto-Italia-Canada-Asbestos committee, supported by many other organizations and individuals, is bringing a delegation from Casale Monferrato to Peterborough, Sarnia and Toronto from April 7 – 15. This will be an educational and activist exchange with this hard hit community, Italy’s epicentre of asbestos disease, that has waged a 40-year struggle to deal with mesothelioma and related diseases from occupational exposure.
Details on visit to Peterborough (Apr. 8) and Sarnia (Apr. 9/10) to be announced.
Toronto events: If you are planning on coming to the session on education or to the occupational disease cluster summit, please RSVP to the Eventbrite links so the Committee knows how much food to order). Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any dietary restrictions.
- Friday, April 12 – 9:30 am – 2:45 pm – the session on getting information on health and safety and workers’ compensation into our schools and community – at ETFO provincial office, 136 Isabella Street. Please RSVP to: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/education-on-health-safety-workers-comp-learning-from-casale-monferrato-tickets-59148356326. Lunch provided.
- Friday, April 12 – 10:30 am – 1 pm – educational exchange between the two oncologists from Casale Monferrato and the University Health Network Mesothelioma Program. At UHN, University and Gerrard. This is a small event by invitation only, with limited space and a medical focus. There will also be a teleconference option for this event.
- Friday, April 12 – 5:30 – 7:30 pm – Reception hosted by the Italian Community. At Columbus Centre, (southwest corner, Dufferin and Lawrence). Notice of this event will be distributed shortly, with more details.
- Saturday, April 13 – 10 am – 5 pm – Occupational Disease Cluster Summit. At USW Hall, 25 Cecil Street. There will be a short but strategic presentation from each major cluster including Sarnia. https://www.eventbrite.com/e/occupational-disease-cluster-summit-learning-from-casale-monferrato-tickets-58613002067. Lunch will be provided.
- Saturday, April 13 – 8 – 11 pm – informal evening on Toronto Island with the delegation. Including a documentary (English subtitles) about their struggle. Excerpts from Natasha Luckhardt’s documentary on Peterborough GE; plus video from work done by Toronto Island community theatre group Shadowland in Sarnia around occupational and environmental exposures.