The Standing Committee on Finance and Economic Affairs will be holding public hearings on Bill 148 , Fair Workplaces, Better Jobs Act 2017, the bill which includes raising the minimum wage to $15. The schedule is Thunder Bay on July 10, North Bay on July 11, Ottawa on July 12, Kingston on July 13, Windsor-Essex on July 14, London on July 17, Kitchener-Waterloo on July 18, Niagara on July 19, Hamilton on July 20, and Toronto on July 21, 2017.
It is important that the Committee understands that while raising the minimum wage is important for all workers, the government must act urgently to ensure that injured workers are not negatively affected by resulting cuts to their benefits.
- IWO Backgrounder. 2017 Jun. Minimum Wage and Deeming
- Chart: Effects of WSIB’s deeming policy (2017)
- ONIWG. 2017, Jun. 14. Letter to the Minister of Labour re Avoiding Disaster
- Injured Workers are Part of the Fight for $15 and Fairness
If you wish to be considered to make an oral presentation , give your contact name, mailing address, phone number, and email address to the Clerk of the Committee, Eric Rennie (email@example.com), by the following deadlines:
- for the week of July 10-14, 2017 – by 10:00 a.m. on Tuesday, July 4, 2017
- for the week of July 17-21, 2017 – by 10:00 a.m. on Monday, July 10, 2017
Written submissions may be sent to the Clerk of the Committee at the address below by 5:30 p.m. on Friday, July 21, 2017:
Room 1405, Whitney Block
Queen’s Park, Toronto, ON M7A 1A2
ph: (416) 325-3506 (collect calls accepted)
fax: (416) 325-3505
TTY: (416) 325-3538