Informal community forums or conferences explored issues through presentations on recent research, analysis, discussion (and humour):
- June 28, 2012: RAACWI all-day Planning meeting. How is workers’ compensation system working for injured workers? – planning for the next seven years.
- June 12, 2012: Community Forum: Understanding the Poverty of Injured Workers in Ontario. Guest speakers: Bonnie Heath, York University & Peri Ballantyne, Trent University.
- April 20, 2012: Community Forum: Looking to the Future of Workers’ Compensation Adjudication. Guest speakers: Joan Eakin (University of Toronto) & Peter Heimler (KPMG)
- March 30, 2012: Community Forum: Repeat Workers’ Compensation Claims / Jacob Etches (IWH); Return to Work after Occupational Brain Injury in Ontario / Angela Colantonio (University of Toronto and Toronto Rehabilitation Institute) [view presentation]
- November 17-18, 2011: RAACWI 2011 Symposium on the Consequences of Work Injury [program]
- September 29, 2011: Community Forum: Discussion topics – Work re-integration and Disability Management Practices. Guest speaker: Karin Maiwald; Election time in Ontario
- June 13, 2011: Community Forum: The Role of Leadership in the Injured Worker Movement – what can we learn from the past to strengthen our movement in the future? Guest speaker: Robert Storey (McMaster University)
- May 9, 2011: Community Forum: Injured Immigrant Worker Study. Guest speakers: IWH researchers Iggy Kosny and Marni Lifshen [view presentation]
- March 31, 2011: LOARC/RAACWI Teach-In: Reviewing Prevention and Compensation – what’s in it for workers? (Presentations and panels on worker representation and activism in health and safety prevention and compensation; how to learn from and involve injured workers in collective strategies for prevention; tools to achieve safer and healthier workplaces)
- January 11, 2011: Community Forum: New WCB/WSIB Work Re-integration Policies. Guest speakers: Kevin Brown (OWA), Ellen MacEachen (IWH) – new policies and practices explored
- December 13, 2010: Community Forum: Working with the Policy “Bureaucracy” – Insights of a Former Policy Advisor. Guest speaker Peter Smith reports on recent research on “lost time claims.”
- October 18, 2010: Community Forum: The Economics of WCB/WSIB in 2010s -What does it Mean for Injured Workers? Guest speakers: Economists Jim Standford (CAW) and Hugh Mackenzie (CCPA); McQuestin Community Legal Services lawyer Andrew Bome
- June 18, 2010: Community Forum: Adequacy of Benefits and Labour-market Earnings Post-Accident. Guest speaker: Emile Tompa (RAACWI academic lead) chairs the discussion on poverty and whether workers compensation benefits cover wages lost after injury or disease
- May 20, 2010: Community Forum: Labour Market Re-entry. Guest speaker: Ellen MacEachen (University of Toronto)on her recent research
- March 23, 2010: Community Forum: A Closer Look at the WSIB Study of Locked-In Award Recipients (“long-duration” claims)
- February 8, 2010: Community Forum: The Auditor General’s 2009 Report – what it means for injured workers. Speakers from the injured workers’ and labour movement and the A-G’s office were invited.
- January 14, 2010: Community Forum: Knowledge Mobilization – Building Public Awareness through the Media. Guest speaker: John McGrath (CBC Queen’s Park reporter)
- November 30, 2009: Community Forum: Deeming for Injured Workers – exploring legal strategies and working together to find solutions. Guest speakers: Bonnie Heath; community legal clinic advocates
- October 2, 3009: Community Forum: WSIB Finances – What does it Mean for Injured Workers? What is the Employer Strategy? John McKinnon (IWC) reviews the 2008 WSIB Annual Report and leads a discussion on how to benefit from a fuller understanding of the current situation
- May 22, 2009: Symposium on the Consequences of Work Injury [program]
- April 23, 2009: Community Forum: The Nature and Consequences of Stigma Experienced by Injured Workers. Guest speaker: Bonnie Kirsh (University of Toronto) [view presentation]; Panel discussion on overcoming depression and making a difference.
- March 13, 2009: Community Forum: Occupational Safety Risk Factors, Work Injury and Compensation among Recent Immigrant Workers in Canada. Guest speaker: Peter Smith (IWH)
- February 12, 2009: Community Forum: WSIB Front Line Worker Study. Guest speaker: Joan Eakin
- January 29, 2009: Community Forum: Social Activism and the Injured Worker. Guest speaker: Robert Storey (McMaster University)
- December 4, 2008: Community Forum: Understanding the Political Process and Using our Knowledge to Make Change – analyze the government’s response to our demands; develop a written response to the Minister of Labour; document the poverty of injured workers.
- November 6, 2008 : Using Research for Change. What RAACWI has achieved so far and plans for the future
- May 16, 2008: Community Forum: Using Research for Change – Overview of the Political Process – from idea to law to policy to practice.
- April 10, 2008: Community Forum: “Hurt versus Harm” Approach in Return to Work – a Social Reconceptualisation using Injured Worker Experience. Guest speaker: Ellen MacEachen ; Experience Rating – Connecting the Dots / Marion Endicott (IWC)
- February 7 & March 6, 2008: Community Forum: Study of the WCB/WSIB’s Annual Report 2006 – what’s included, who is it reporting to? What information does it seek to provide? What more would we like to see?