The Bancroft Institute for Studies on Workers’ Compensation and Work Injury (established originally in 1997 as the Injured Workers’ Institute) was formed by injured workers, advocates and academics to meet a need for education and research that focused on topics important to Ontario’s workers.
Annual workshops have addressed such issues as precarious employment, myths and realities of early and safe return to work, participatory action research methods and tools. In December 2003, the Bancroft Institute hosted a meeting of injured worker activists and researchers to explore joint research projects, leading eventually to the Injured Workers’ History Project and formal partnership between the injured worker community and university researchers (RAACWI).
Although the RAACWI project ended in 2012, the Bancroft Institute is continuing this collaboration through its workshops and Policy and Research Discussion series:
- Research and Action Workshop (February 9-10, 2017) Measuring Return to Work. Keynote speaker: Ellen MacEachen [see Event details and Full Agenda
- Policy & Research Discussion series no. 6 (Nov. 17, 2016): Barriers to Return-to-Work in a Context of Social Vulnerability Keynote speaker: Stephanie Premji
- Policy & Research Discussion series no. 5 (May 17, 2016): Mental Health Status of Ontario Injured Workers with Permanent Impairments Keynote speaker: Fergal O’Hagan
- Research and Action Workshop (October 22-23, 2015): Workers’ Compensation and Poverty: What Does the Research Show? Keynote speakers: Wayne Lewchuk, Karen Messing
- Policy & Research Discussion series no. 4 (May 14, 2015): How Characteristics of Workers’ Compensation Systems Affect Doctors: A Comparative Study of Québec and Ontario. Keynote speakers: Katherine Lippel, Joan Eakin, Linn Holness, Dana Howse [video presentation]
- Policy & Research Discussion series no. 3 (Oct. 31, 2014): Interactions between Injured Workers and Insurers in Workers’ Compensation Systems. Keynote speakers: Beth Kilgour and Agnieszka Kosny [video presentation]
- Research and Action Workshop (April 14-15, 2014): Has the WCB/WSIB Abandoned its Mandate? Keynote speaker: Jeffrey Hilgert
- Policy & Research Discussion series no. 2 (Oct. 10, 2013): “Unjust by Design” (administrative justice). Keynote speaker: Ron Ellis
- Policy & Research Discussion series no. 1 (May 7, 2013): From Disability to Welfare. Keynote speaker: John Stapleton